Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how much more gull wing doors would have cost Alfa Romeo on the 4C? Would it need more reinforcement or just a case of a clever hinge? Can't help thinking it would suit the style of the 4C and give it an even more special look along with being practical in parking areas and also in the home garage.

·
Super Moderator
14,731 Posts
Your photo is really scissor doors. Commonly referred to as “Lambo doors”. Their best feature is being able to get in without needing a lot of room to open the doors. But, often considered a “ricer” aftermarket mod.

Gull wings are top-hinged.
They are on some of the most iconic cars ever built. As well as the Tesla Model X rear doors.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm glad Alfa didn't do it. Lambo guys would have lost their minds: "I could have had all that s&@#t for $75K?"

But personally, oh that would have been Billy Bad Ass.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I’d like replace the windscreen, roof and doors with aircraft style canopy that matches the 4C shape so car looks standard and opens backwards, suicide style. All clear so the carbon inside shows more :)

Goldmax, Lamborghini forward opening too much weight and could damage the door post by stressing it in directions the fibres weren’t oriented for? Gullwing just isn’t happening on the 4C, structurally impossible without space framing the car.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I'm glad Alfa didn't do it. Lambo guys would have lost their minds: "I could have had all that s&@#t for $75K?"
Yeah but no V12, no AWD, no double wishbone rear, not active damping, and no drift vectoring. Oh, and no sub 3 to 60, or sub 4 for that matter. No 200mph club.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok thanks for the feedback, I was sneaking around on ‘mclaren life’ forum and those cars look amazing. Saw a few of our members are also on there, our cars share quite a lot.....but obv not scissor doors and a V8 behind. 👀

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ok thanks for the feedback, I was sneaking around on ‘mclaren life’ forum and those cars look amazing. Saw a few of our members are also on there, our cars share quite a lot.....but obv not scissor doors and a V8 behind. 👀
FWIW, I would have loved to have had the scissor/McLaren doors style on the 4C. I wouldn't do it aftermarket myself.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Actually I think the McLaren doors are called dyahedral or some word like that, and they're not the same as lambo, which we're opening parallel to the car, while the mclaren ones are kind of like at an angle.

Anyhow I am very happy they didn't do it on the 4C, I think it would have been very pretentious, like those oversized rear wings on old civics with a drilled coffee can muffler

·
Registered
303 Posts
I love it the way it is, but I would not have been opposed to it. After all, the 33 straddle had upward hinged doors, and the 4C got other styling cues from it.

·
4C-Forums.com Vendor
373 Posts
The thing with the 4C is that it really isn't hard to get in and out of for me, unless I am parked somewhere that doesn't give enough room to swing the door all the way open. Then it can be a real pain.

In a sense, this is the issue that Gullwing doors and other differently hinged doors were designed to solve, before they became just a fashion statement. So if they could have been done on the 4C without adding weight it would have been a good thing, IMHO

·
Registered
663 Posts
No. I agree with a previous poster. Too pretentious.

Reactions: FLORO

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No. I agree with a previous poster. Too pretentious.
I can’t see how a different style of door is being pretentious. So long as it functions. Are bi fold doors in homes fakes or tilt and turn windows being show offs just because they operate different to the hundreds years old norm? Because people may find the upward doors flashy isn’t proof they are bling, after all it’s only a hinge but in another direction.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts