Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
This is one of the few vehicles where it would have made "functional" sense to include a vertical lift door given the vast sea of carbon fibre one has to straddle to get into the saddle :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have installed scissor doors on other cars. Heavy hinges are required and hydraulic struts to assist opening and hold them in place. Not appropriate for our cars in my opinion.
One customer hated them and had me change his Corvette back to stock.
Koenigsegg however, have the coolest door design ever. Google Agera R.
Schwab
Vintage Auto Restoration
Vegas

·
Registered
187 Posts
So...billionaire doors? Lol. Would have been cool, but not at the expense of too much extra weight. I drove a BMW i8 that had them though, and it was still kind of tough to get in and out of.

Billionaire doors clip:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Funny thing, was at a Wawa year ago, waiting in car while the evil one went inside for drinks. Sitting in car playing with phone I heard couple come out with lady saying she wanted to wait for passenger as "I know that mfer has swing up doors".

4C doesn't have but starting to work on evil one for my next car want, the Apex AP-0. I didn't have eyes on anything but somehow saw this and hoping it's not vaporware. Since buying the Smart we've been enjoying the electric and I told her want an electric sports car (not Tesla).

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Instructed in a McLaren a couple of weeks ago (TX is open!). I found the doors to be functional and can see how it would be an advantage on our cars. But the door lift strut was just about the size of our rear MacPherson! So . . . yeah . . . weight.

Nice car. Driver was doing a good job with it and was really enjoying the track experience. We went for a ride in my Miata. I think he's surfing Craigslist now to find a beater so he can REALLY get into it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
4C doesn't have but starting to work on evil one for my next car want, the Apex AP-0. I didn't have eyes on anything but somehow saw this and hoping it's not vaporware. Since buying the Smart we've been enjoying the electric and I told her want an electric sports car (not Tesla).

That thing would look a lot better without the dorsal fin on the back. Hilarious in the video that the guy doing the demo can't figure out how to open the door :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
419 Posts
That thing would look a lot better without the dorsal fin on the back. Hilarious in the video that the guy doing the demo can't figure out how to open the door :ROFLMAO:
Laughed at that myself. The fin on top is one I would hope is better in person.

Still haven’t seen a driven version video and the preorder form matches Tesla roadster terms in that design is still open to change.

·
Registered
Alfa Rosso 2016 4C Spider + 1984 Ferrari 308QV Targa + 1981 Delorean DMC12 Grey Interior
205 Posts
One here! Il Divo (the 4c's actual concept car sold at Villa D'Este for the Preferitti) had them so zero issues with "Lamborghini doors" (ugh FYI, Alfa Romeo invented the gullwing on the 33 Stradale, so pretentious? The Stradale had 220hp and can't hit 200mph on a good wind so... Education. Knowledge is a precious thing to waste on hipshot opinions)...
So I did buy 650s dihedral door hinges because apart from a custom adapter plate that will bolt in the stock locations, they are nearly perfect (3.5-4mm extra from door needed). I am waiting on the quote for the custom door work, as the tensile/"tounge"/"flexion" (loosely translating the Italian tech terms) specs on our tubs meet having a complete door weight up to 90lbs, so how they "beam" from the bolting mounts dont matter, put that idea to death because the tub can do it, laughing. But: the doors weigh too close so I also have to decide how to lose some weight there (Scara73's carbon doors are a fast/one-stop way to getting that done, but I don't want to lose my motorized glass and side airbags, so not that simple) so the redesign can last, rattles-free, like an OEM execution.

As for "it doesn't need them"... I daily mine, am 6' and weigh a skinny 170lbs, do stretches/pseudo-yoga and some martial arts every morning , and if you can get out of the damn car when the only space is between two fat ass trucks, or parallel to a 45mph street, dihedral doors... Man, even swan doors, make a world of difference.

I have spoken with a few AR ppl and they did consider vertical doors in the beginning, but cost QUICKLY nixxed it. No problems there as we would be owning 2015+ 8c's had they went "full retard", spending at least $300k+. I just wish the doors, however the opened, took some of the side sill where your foot goes with it, like a Mclaren.

·
Registered
578 Posts
One here! Il Divo (the 4c's actual concept car sold at Villa D'Este for the Preferitti) had them so zero issues with "Lamborghini doors" (ugh FYI, Alfa Romeo invented the gullwing on the 33 Stradale, so pretentious? The Stradale had 220hp and can't hit 200mph on a good wind so... Education. Knowledge is a precious thing to waste on hipshot opinions)...
The 300SL Gullwing predates the 33 Stradale by a dozen years. So Alfa didn't invent the gullwing doors, at all. And yes, very pretentious on a $70k car.

·
Registered
Alfa Rosso 2016 4C Spider + 1984 Ferrari 308QV Targa + 1981 Delorean DMC12 Grey Interior
205 Posts
The first vehicle to feature scissor doors was the 1968 Alfa Romeo Carabo concept car, designed by Bertone's Marcello Gandini.

Also, glad you don't make the rules about what a "$70k" car should or shouldn't do, as a twingo has beautiful vertical doors and goes for nothing, and no one will think that's pretentious. Lol, calm yourself. We all do whatever we want, and apparently, we all have our fans and our haters. Live to offend, then, or suffer trying hard to please idk whom.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Maybe the exposed carbon tub is pretentious on a £70k car (lets be honest where else do you see that?) but I don’t think it is or matters.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I had them on my last car and would think they would look awesome on the 4c, but the door sill is so wide, that I think they would hinder vs help ingress and egress. They did not help getting in or out of my old car, but they did solve an issue of door length and work bench closeness. Also was great in public parking areas.

I think they matched my car well and followed the angle of the hood quite well too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think its a great look, and it would have lended itself well to the 4C. I also think it would be too much to ask within the price point for Alfa, but if it added $5,000 to the cost, I think these would have sold better. It's the signature of an exotic car - and the Valentino Balboni method of driving in reverse with the wide sill would have its own string of Youtube videos...and fails!! I also think scissor doors and gullwing doors, like on the original Mercedes 300SL are completely different. Isn't one hinged on the roof? Pretentious is a question asked. Didn't that train leave the station? On a bright red (many), very low, carbon tubbed, two seat Italian sportscar with a glass cover over the rear engine, that for me once was confused for a Bugatti - I agree, we certainly don't want to drive a pretentious car!!

It just occurred to me. What did Enzo say? 'I make cars for young men that only old men can afford.' Alfa delivered Enzo a very special two worded, one finger salute with the 4C, and I for one am eternally grateful.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts