Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever wonder why Alfa introduced some new and interesting options (CF Roof/Akra/Flag Mirrors/CF Vents) for MY17 in North America?

As we all know the 4C was introduced in 2013 in Europe (as a model year 14). Nothing changed until 2017. Then all of a sudden, in 2017 Alfa introduced the CF roof for coupes, the Akrapovic exhaust, CF fascia vents, and the flag mirrors... Why is that? (note: some of this was available in Europe before 17, still comes from the Club Italia edition, though).

In 2015 the 60 members of Club Italia determined they wanted a special edition 4C to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the organization. 16 of these cars were made (15 coupe and 1 spider). Being essentially the Italian auto industry illuminati, they didn't want just a random 4C with a badge, they added new features to commemorate the 4C Club Italia Edition. Among those features was the CF roof, the "Club Italia" mirrors, and the Akrapovic exhaust (when your membership includes Paolo Cantarella, Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, Piero Ferrari, Gianpaolo Dallara, Jean Todt, Mauro Forghieri, Paolo Pininfarina and Andrea Zagato a call into Akrapovic gets an exhaust made, lol). In addition to the above, these cars had vents like the Launch Editions (Alfa hadn’t made them in carbon yet but their subsequent release in CF is also traceable to the Club Italia editions), as well as the enamel “Club Italia 25” badge.

To amend what @Philster was saying in the other thread, if you call a parts source for the 4C flag mirrors, they are actually called, per the internal Alfa system, the "Club Italia Mirrors". The mirrors are actually designed by Zender, and Alfa, specifically for the Club Italia edition, bought the rights to them such that Zender wont sell you them. They granted Alfa Romeo an exclusive and perpetual license on the design.

And so that is how these options came to be. These items, and the Club Italia edition they adorned, were developed by Carrozzeria Sonnino, with Marcello Pochettino serving as the guarantor of the project for FCA (Marcello was formerly the general manager of Maserati, reporting directly to Luca di Montezemolo - who recall is a member of Club Italia).

From the source:

The aim of this particular edition was to emphasize the sports pedigree and essential splendour of the Alfa Romeo 4C. In keeping with that goal, the car made extensive use of performance-enhancing ultralight materials. These included carbon (for the roof, the front-end spoilers, headlight assemblies, rear spoiler and rear-view mirrors) and titanium (on the centrally mounted tailpipes by Akrapovič, a pioneering user of this innovative material in exhaust systems), resulting in weight savings of about 60% compared to standard components.
N.B. The CF halo was a late availability option for spiders (there is 1 factory CF halo 2015 spider) and so it isn’t abundantly clear if that was developed for the Club Italia Spider (of which there is only one) or not. Regardless, that is the similar feature in terms of desirability to the CF roof for spiders.

So the connection to the Club Italia Edition is what makes the flag mirrors special. Again, from the source:

Certain elements such as the carbon headlight assembly and rear-view mirrors feature a finishing touch that can only fill us with pride: the colours of the Italian flag, intended to point out that a car as gorgeous as the 4C could only stem from an Italian mix of technical excellence and panache.
I would humbly submit that the 4Cs most desirable and collectable 4Cs (aside from the actual Club Italia cars in Italy, only two of which have been resold), will be those with “Club Italia Mirrors”, CF Roof/Halo, Akrapovic Exhaust, and CF fascia vents. Those cars are, in essence, the descendants of the Club Italia Edition 4Cs and embody that quintessentially Italian mix of technical excellence and panache. The Tributo, in many ways, is the evolution of the Club Italia Edition (Tributo book alludes to this), really taking a page from what that car was and elevating it further (specifically talking about the paint, which is in another league relative to any other 4C paint - the quality of the paint is really that of a much more expensive car).

So directly addressing the other thread and @earl's question, the 4Cs with flag mirrors are exceptionally rare and those with the combination of Club Italia features (CF Roof/Halo,CF Fascia Vents, Club Italia Mirrors, and Akrapovic Exhaust) are exceptionally rare in their own right.

To wit, in North America:
  • 70 Total 4Cs Exist with these features, consisting of:
    • 8 Coupes
    • 29 SE Spiders
    • 33 Tributos
If you remove the condition for CF fender vents, just for fun, you have the "Holy Trinity" cars - a term coined by @zr33 (CF Roof/Halo, Akra, Club Italia mirrors):
  • 115 Total 4Cs Exist with these features, consisting of:
    • 25 Coupes
    • 57 SE Spiders
    • 8 Italias
    • 33 Tributos
This will eventually go on the 4C registry, which I have recently started thinking about again, so fingers crossed that actually comes to fruition soon, lol

Further Reading:
Link to the Club Italia Website discussion of the 4C Club Italia Edition
Link to a great Petrolicious Article about the 4C Club Italia Spider

Disclaimer: Some people get offended by this type of post (for reasons I don't particularly understand). All 4Cs are amazing IMHO and realistically they all provide basically the same experience, so this is really just about people who like 'collector' things.

·
Registered
Ali Giallo Prototipo w/ red seats
262 Posts
So if you got Flag mirrors and Akra exhaust you got "Holy Duality, Duplexity, or Dichotomy" ??

Akra & CF roof/halo = Holy Duplexity
Akra & Mirrors = Holy Duality
Vents & CF roof/halo = Holy Dichotomy
Mirrors & CF roof/halo = Holy Moly ?? ok, I'll stop....

But on a serious note, that is AWESOME information, members like @John4C are such valuable assets to the forum ❗

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have:

Grey / Red coupe
Akra exhaust
CF bumper vents
CF roof

However I have the CF mirrors and not the flag mirrors. I prefer this as I didnt like the flag mirrors, but I will buy a set to keep on the side just for rarity if I come across them.

Reactions: Texas4cforever

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What if you have Akra and CF fender vents?
Then you've got the @Mr.Tennant yours is the ONLY car with body colored mirrors, std (non-CF) halo, Akra and CF Vents. I think I told you that before. You have a very unique one.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And just an Akra like my car is a “holy singleplex”. LOL. I’m good with that.
Only 4 black/tobacco spiders with Akra. Interestingly 3 are like yours (no halo, no vents, body mirrors) - really interesting because statistically that shouldn't be 75% of the population.

Love that combo (black/tobacco) though. Only 35 total 4Cs in that combo (20 Coupe/15 Spider) - should be more IMHO. I prefer that to Black/Red (of which there are a ton (133 total, most of any interior with black).

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have:

Grey / Red coupe
Akra exhaust
CF bumper vents
CF roof

However I have the CF mirrors and not the flag mirrors. I prefer this as I didnt like the flag mirrors, but I will buy a set to keep on the side just for rarity if I come across them.
I've given you the stats on yours specifically, but CF Vents, CF Roof/Halo, Akra, & CF Mirrors since I did flags, no vents above...
  • 55 Total 4Cs Exist with these features (CF Vents, CF Roof/Halo, Akra, and CF Mirrors), consisting of:
    • 24 Coupes
    • 31 SE Spiders
So not a ton with the vents/CF either. Both Vents and Flags are quite rare (when combined with the CF feature/Akra)

·
Registered
Ali Giallo Prototipo w/ red seats
262 Posts
I have:

Grey / Red coupe
Akra exhaust
CF bumper vents
CF roof

No worries, I wouldn't even bother. I saw your car and never even once thought to look at the mirrors for that 'option'. Just the fact they were CF completed the look and those little flags would gain you nothing except maybe exemption from even having those thoughts. It's Perfect just the way it is ❗

·
Registered
633 Posts
I was surprised to find that the Competizione does NOT have the flag mirrors when I inspected one in Sydney. It also seems to lack the carbon fibre pack inside (dash and gear selector) like the Tributo. I would have thought that Alfa would throw all of their goodies at these Special Editions.

I suppose the rarest of all are the Tributo coupes then...?

Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Plant Hood
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

I should have bought this car.....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks. Honestly Im sure if I came across the flag mirrors, someone else would surely want them more than I.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I was surprised to find that the Competizione does NOT have the flag mirrors when I inspected one in Sydney. It also seems to lack the carbon fibre pack inside (dash and gear selector) like the Tributo. I would have thought that Alfa would throw all of their goodies at these Special Editions.

I suppose the rarest of all are the Tributo coupes then...?

I should have bought this car.....
That's a beauty - you should've bought it, lol.

Yes though, most Italias didn't have flag mirrors either. Only a few US (and one Canuck) ones did that I've seen. I get the impression Alfa made a fixed amount of flag mirrors and that was it. They are not very common internationally from what I have seen.

Also - all the special editions after the LE did not have the CF gear selector or bezel (Italia/Competizione/Tributo). The only explanation I have received for this is the special dash trim kind of blocked the CF package being compatible so it couldn't be added. Sounds absurd, but recall that in MY15 (in NA) when we had LEs, CF bezel and CF gauge trim were standalone options, so there is some consistency at least as to why.

Yes, Tributo has 98 total cars globally (45 coupes and 53 spiders) - so Tributo coupe is the rarest special edition (marginally). Technically the rarest is the RHD Tributo Spider, only 12 exist.

Special editions work out something like:
Font Line Rectangle Material property Parallel

·
Registered
gtv6 3.0, Stelvio Ti
390 Posts
Only 4 black/tobacco spiders with Akra. Interestingly 3 are like yours (no halo, no vents, body mirrors) - really interesting because statistically that shouldn't be 75% of the population.

Love that combo (black/tobacco) though. Only 35 total 4Cs in that combo (20 Coupe/15 Spider) - should be more IMHO. I prefer that to Black/Red (of which there are a ton (133 total, most of any interior with black).
Hey John - thanks for the stats. Yeah you remember I was looking for a white coupe and ended up with a black spider! I went down to take a look at the car at Fullerton and that was it. Agree that it was the black and tobacco that snared me. I’ll havesome updates to post soon!

·
Super Moderator
10,764 Posts
Just to say I’ve a 4C will do me. What an informative couple of posts by John4C. I’d forgotten/ignored the Club Italia release simply because of its unavailability down this way. Much like the UK 50th anniversary 4C Spider.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Then you've got the @Mr.Tennant yours is the ONLY car with body colored mirrors, std (non-CF) halo, Akra and CF Vents. I think I told you that before. You have a very unique one.
Oh wow, I thought there may have been others in different exterior/interior colors and with extra options.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I think the stats re rarity of an individual car (not limited editions) are interesting as shown on here and BAT. But rarity does not always mean better. Sometimes car combos are rare because they are not desirable.

I am all about driving my 4C and putting miles on it(35th track days this year as of today and the year is not over). I am not trying to keep it stock with low miles. There are much better ways to make money than holding on to a 4C.

Jeff

·
Registered
617 Posts
John4C, similar but different. You indicated mine was a unicorn based on combo. That said, how many came with the horrible silver mirror covers that mine came with? I cannot imagine too many people ordered those, first thing that I pulled, stored and replaced with carbon covers. I thank those mirror for partially keeping the car on showroom floor for a while, what a horrible look.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Theres an important spec
WEIGHT
Euro spec cars gain 50 kgs after the 12 week of the year 2017

my holly trinity would be:
1) 2016-early 2017 euro spec coupe (due the update in transmission electronics plus low weight)
2) akrapovich exhaust
3) classic headlights (rare in euro coupes, common in USA spec)

PD: dont forget the rosso forte edition for germany and the Zandvoort edition for netherlands (CF roof)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Makes me even more happy with my car. I have one of the cars with all four of those options, and I paid a lot more to get the car optioned that way new…. It’s nice to see I’m not the only one that thinks the options make it a bit more special.

Thanks John!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts