Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
I must be one of the '17 coupes in N. America with all those options. Does choice in stock wheels mean anything to the value?

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I think the stats re rarity of an individual car (not limited editions) are interesting as shown on here and BAT. But rarity does not always mean better. Sometimes car combos are rare because they are not desirable.
100% agree. Scarcity /= Desirability and there are definitely a few BAT cars that come to mind that embody that.

I must be one of the '17 coupes in N. America with all those options. Does choice in stock wheels mean anything to the value?
I don’t think it’s material one way or the other. My observation is that people tend to prefer the five holes but I don’t think it’s ever stopped anyone from buying a car. Everyone's taste is different and they are easy to swap.

That said (and this isn't directed at anyone in particular) this isn’t really a post about money or value. That is why I put the disclaimer so to speak. I don’t know why it offends people every time you try to talk about scarcity and what some of the desirable options mean, what their origin is, etc. I feel like it’s a fun little anecdote that evolves our understanding of these beautiful little cars we love. That's all.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
This is the first car that I did not care about uniqueness after 3.5 decades of making sure whatever combo I had was rare.

It's a disease that started in the 1980's, when I found out my car color with all the options I chose was the rarest. I then carried that forward with every car. It's migraine-inducing to sort out all the combos and where they are. It's caused me to almost kill a dealer who lied about a spec, and he ironically was up in Boston (ahem, John, lol), and that was for a G35 Coupe that was (would have been) 1 of 1. He literally snapped a pic of a poorly equipped manual trans console/interior and figured he'd convince me to buy the car that actually had an automatic on the premise that 'automatics are better.'

If I didn't buy the 4C in 2017, and were in the market more recently, I'd be in the @John4C school of knowing what is super desirable, rare and available. Instead, I was drowning in life and work and figured an LE would just give me all the good stuff and I could worry about rarity later for once.

I am a recovering @John4C - Lol. I even appreciate the level of derangement with your friggin' truck color. Haha.

There's hope for ya, dude! LMAO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Very interesting regarding the Club Italia version and how that came to be. As an Italian/American I'm super stoked to be buying a car with Italian flag mirrors, even if my name is not Pininfarina or Zagato:)

I'll post up in the new member section with proper pics once the car arrives.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thank you for sharing. Super interesting and informative.

When I was in the market, the most important option for me was the carbon roof. Every other option could be retrofitted. But the carbon roof would be a major pain in the rear. So, I wanted to make sure I found one with a carbon roof.

Then, the second option I wanted was the Akra exhaust. It also felt it would be expensive to buy one, install it properly.

Then, everything else was nice-to-haves. My '17 has every option except for the Italian flag and the bumper vent. However, I actually like the slick/stealth look of my "plain" carbon mirror.

I am also split on the bumper vents. When I look at my '17 (no vent) and my '15 LE (vents) side by side, I sometimes find that those vents kind of break the clean line of the car. But there are also times when I find them to be very aggressive and sporty.

4Cs are so rare. I have only seen 3 on the road in the past 3 years. And each one I saw on the road was very special regardless of the options.

Congrats to everyone here who gets to enjoy such a special car.

·
Super Moderator
10,756 Posts
4Cs are so rare. I have only seen 3 on the road in the past 3 years. And each one I saw on the road was very special regardless of the options.

Congrats to everyone here who gets to enjoy such a special car.
Every second car seems to be a 4C around here 😉…. A photo of one of our less regular than they should be drives.

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
Every second car seems to be a 4C around here 😉…. A photo of one of our less regular than they should be drives.
That's funny Jim, I hadn't noticed the way we were looking at the rear end as if the snags were nearly ready to turn. 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
302 Posts
Super informative post John and I'm really looking forward to the website you have coming - it'll be a great resource to preserve the knowledge on our 4C's while it's still possible, alongside this forum.

I know from experience after buying a DC2 Integra Type R - the lack of a resource (e.g. forum, web archive etc) to find out more about the history, knowledge from owners, and interesting background on the car (such as this post) - is really disappointing. Being a car from the 90's the internet wasn't what it is now so we're lucky we have these tools at our disposal. People will look back and be really grateful information such as this was collated for rare and unique limited production cars.

Small side note, I've had my own nostalgic reasons for wanting a particular spec for my 4C. My first post on here some years ago was after I took a trip to Italy and snagged a 4C from Hertz (of all places!) in Florence. I drove the car to it's home in Modena and did the supercar pilgrimage - that entire vacation was one of the best I ever had and the experience in a 4C was the cream, icing and cherry on top. I wanted one ever since and am so grateful that I get to be the custodian of one of these fine machines. I was fearful that having one in my garage would not live up to the rose-tinted memory, but if anything, driving my car with the roof down on a beautiful day only brings back the memories of blasting through the Tuscan countryside clearer.

The car I rented will always hold a special place in my heart and I had a preference of finding one as similar as possible, though when I was actually shopping for one I missed out on a couple of completely differently specc'd cars as I was too slow to act. When "the one" finally came around, I wasn't taking any chances :)

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Microphone Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror Automotive design

Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Special editions work out something like:
View attachment 124061
Love your facts and figures, thanks a lot for your efforts. So I have a question: do you know, how many Launch Editions were built in Carrara matt white? The color was only available in EMEA to my knowledge and I once heard of 80 cars in total.

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Love your facts and figures, thanks a lot for your efforts. So I have a question: do you know, how many Launch Editions were built in Carrara matt white? The color was only available in EMEA to my knowledge and I once heard of 80 cars in total.
I do not have an exact figure on that. Your count of 80 sounds directionally correct though. It isn’t a ton. There were 13 early production cars that were all Carrara Matt white so that boosts the number a tad. I also don’t know definitively whether or not the 200 that went to Japan had any (that said I have never seen one in Japan). Otherwise it’s early builds out of the 500 Europe/ROW and 100 Middle East +13. Under 100 seems likely.

There’s a guy on FB that has two Carrara Matt white LEs - I always found that funny (something I would do). I forget where in Europe he is though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was surprised to find that the Competizione does NOT have the flag mirrors when I inspected one in Sydney. It also seems to lack the carbon fibre pack inside (dash and gear selector) like the Tributo. I would have thought that Alfa would throw all of their goodies at these Special Editions.

I suppose the rarest of all are the Tributo coupes then...?

View attachment 124056 View attachment 124057 View attachment 124058

I should have bought this car.....
Love this car

·
Registered
134 Posts
I do not have an exact figure on that. Your count of 80 sounds directionally correct though. It isn’t a ton. There were 13 early production cars that were all Carrara Matt white so that boosts the number a tad. I also don’t know definitively whether or not the 200 that went to Japan had any (that said I have never seen one in Japan). Otherwise it’s early builds out of the 500 Europe/ROW and 100 Middle East +13. Under 100 seems likely.

There’s a guy on FB that has two Carrara Matt white LEs - I always found that funny (something I would do). I forget where in Europe he is though.
Thanks for confirming! I also believe that Japan did not receive any car in that color.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So what if I have CF roof, Italia Flag Mirrors, Akra exhaust, CF instrument panel bezel, CF vents, CF shift button plate, CF cluster bezel, and coupe track package 1? How many of these were built?
Font Material property Paper Paper product Document

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So what if I have CF roof, Italia Flag Mirrors, Akra exhaust, CF instrument panel bezel, CF vents, CF shift button plate, CF cluster bezel, and coupe track package 1? How many of these were built?
Dave... Where have you been hiding? Lol Great car. It doesn't have the CF fascia vents, so not one of the 8 coupes I mentioned in the original post, but of the 25 "Holy Trinity" coupes mentioned in the first post. An extremely special 4C. Is that the one that was for sale in Hawaii last year? One of the two twins (see below) was for sale at a Porsche dealer in Hawaii in early 2021.

Here:
is yours.

Then one vin serial before yours:
is your exact twin.

Great car. Enjoy it!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts