Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
I recently bought a 2014 -16000km 4c coupe.
I'm planning to only use the car on sunny sundays (road + trackdays)

can anyone tell me if michelin cup 225/35R18 and 255/30R19 wil fit on stock wheels and car without rubbing?

thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
16,415 Posts
Hello and welcome!

255 at the back is really too wide a tire to fit on stock rims. Not sure that you will get anything out of that size, even if it will fit without rubbing, i’m guessing that you are at stock height? It might also depend somewhat on what brand tire, as not all 255 section width tires are shaped the same. I have similar worries a about the fronts, where some have reported rubbing in that size and others not. I’ll let them chime in.

If you really want the performance gains from wider tires, then research the ideal offsets, and get a set of appropriately wider wheels. And lighter ones, as you’ll be adding a fair bit of rotating mass going to that much rubber.

If you just want to fill the fender arches better, then spacers with a tire size closer to stock would be a better option.

I’ll point you to the Alfa9 website, where Matt has the ideal tire size listed with his 4C wheel selection. You won’t likely buy there given your location, but it’s a great resource too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the answer!
the main reason is that i would like to switch to semi slicks for better grip and as I do low milage, i prefer using the tire than let it age.
There are not a lot of options in stock size semi slicks.
In Belgium 225/35 + 255/30 will also pass cars yearly technical inspection.
I am at stock height indeed and was planning to buy michelin cup tires

·
Super Moderator
16,415 Posts
Will you get the Cup 2s up to operating temperatures on the street?
When cold, they don't really afford you that much better grip for the price. And at 255 width on a car as light as the 4C, I question as to whether you'll get them up to a decent temperature unless you're on a racetrack.

·
Registered
616 Posts
hi,
I recently bought a 2014 -16000km 4c coupe.
I'm planning to only use the car on sunny sundays (road + trackdays)

can anyone tell me if michelin cup 225/35R18 and 255/30R19 wil fit on stock wheels and car without rubbing?

thanks in advance!
Yaajjj, Belgium!! Show your 4C!!! :cool:
There are a few Belgium racers here on this forum!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm fitting 215 front and 255 rear Cup 2 Connect's to mine tonight, so I can let you know my feedback in the coming weeks. I will be using them for street and track.

·
Registered
249 Posts
As it is just between the two of us here and nobody else will notice😉😊, I can tell you a secret:

The best tested tire/wheel combination we tested so far at our track that is also street legal and with TÜV documents is the Novitec N11 wheel with Zestino Gredge 07RS TW140 in 215/45 R17 on front axle and 245/40 R18 on the rear axle. It is the cheapest and best working semi slick on a 4C. Far better than a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 or any other well known semi-slick tire on the market.

The N11 wheel is not the lightest on the market but it is very solid, inexpensive, has already the maximum allowed offset for TÜV and also brings all necessary documents with it.

But don’t tell anybody... 😉😂

best regards

Alex

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,953 Posts
I will echo a 215/245 combination is ideal for the 4C and stock wheels. A 255 rear with the 215 front will emphasize a bit more of understeer compared t the 245. The 215 is the ideal size front ON the stock 7" wide wheels. The 225 is oversized for the front. The correct maximum tire tread width (rubber on the ground should be equal to the rim width or slightly less. If tire is oversized it will screw up handling and braking.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,953 Posts
View attachment 116320
The stock wheels are 18x7 and 19x8.5 so your proposed sizing would be on the max side
Not for a sports car with low profile tires and used as a sports car was intended. 215 should be the maximum front on 7". . Go to Tire Rack...they have a good write up on this. In the rear you could get away with a 255 on the 8 1/2" rim but that would be pushing it. If you really want larger tires than that you would be better off with wider wheels.
Frankly you are better off with stickier tires in a given size than going up a size or two with the less sticky tires. Larger wheels/tires have more rotational mass, unsprung weight, and more aero drag.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not for a sports car with low profile tires and used as a sports car was intended. 215 should be the maximum front on 7". . Go to Tire Rack...they have a good write up on this. In the rear you could get away with a 255 on the 8 1/2" rim but that would be pushing it. If you really want larger tires than that you would be better off with wider wheels.
Frankly you are better off with stickier tires in a given size than going up a size or two with the less sticky tires. Larger wheels/tires have more rotational mass, unsprung weight, and more aero drag.
I agree. I went with 255 on the rear as it was significantly cheaper than 245 (£50 per tyre) but I think 245 would perform slightly better on track etc. On the other hand 255 looks pretty damn cool though, nice and chunky from the rear.

Here is 255/35 on the 19x8.5J rim with 20mm spacers.

Here is 215/40 on the front with 5mm spacers. Perfect size IMO

·
Registered
213 Posts
255 weren’t cheaper than 245 in the PS4S I put on my summer wheels!
I too run the 215 in front and yes, perfect.
The other problem with the 245/35/19 Cup2 Connect is that it's also the BMW M2 CS oem size, so you have to make sure you're buying the right ones (the BMW ones have rim protection and have a different construction/compound).

·
Registered
668 Posts
i had even taller tires - 225/40/18 - 255/35/19.
on stock wheels & stock height.
Lowered and on titan7 wheels which are wider and has more aggressive offset.
Tires - Michelin PSS, PS4s, Cup2, 888's (those were 265 at rear)

Never rubbed in any of those combinations.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts