Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4C is with me 8 years now. She got mistreated by the dealer at start -swirl hell on the paintwork- and no detailer could ever set it right. So I was budgeting 5k Euro wrap treatment when she turns 10. Some kind of super-dark metallic blue to go over the black paint. I was also eyeing a bigger budget to acquire an old car in about 2 years. Cars that hit 25 years are much cheaper to run over here, tax-wise.

Today I see for sale at a reputable seller, a 1996 GTV with a 2.0 Turbo busso V6 - at a little over the price of that wrap.

Should I live with the swirls, or forget about that GTV? What would you do?

(sample pic, not actual car)
Car Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire

·
Super Moderator
11,545 Posts
4C is with me 8 years now. She got mistreated by the dealer at start -swirl hell on the paintwork- and no detailer could ever set it right. So I was budgeting 5k Euro wrap treatment when she turns 10. Some kind of super-dark metallic blue to go over the black paint. I was also eyeing a bigger budget to acquire an old car in about 2 years. Cars that hit 25 years are much cheaper to run over here, tax-wise.

Today I see for sale at a reputable seller, a 1996 GTV with a 2.0 Turbo busso V6 - at a little over the price of that wrap.

Should I live with the swirls, or forget about that GTV? What would you do?

(sample pic, not actual car)
View attachment 128902
I’ve never heard of a 2.0L turbo V6 960 GTV. Sounds like a bit of a potential money pit.
If the paint is that bad why not wait until your 4Cs 10th birthday, get a respray then clear wrap it?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve never heard of a 2.0L turbo V6 960 GTV. Sounds like a bit of a potential money pit.
If the paint is that bad why not wait until your 4Cs 10th birthday, get a respray then clear wrap it?
One of the correction attempts included a ceramic coating. I'm more than worried paint will have a hard time sticking to that. Also respray seems incredibly expensive these days, and it would involve disassembling bodywork (more so than wrapping), very likely under commercial time pressure - which typically, in my experience, ends in disaster some way or other down the line.
I'm thinking money pit too. Cambelt will probably be engine-out.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
I suspect it’s a big job to put right. If you hadn’t ceramic coated it, it would only have needed a very light flatting (a wash with Cif even) and a clear coat . I don’t know how you get the ceramic off without going too deep and wrecking the the factory paint.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
I suspect it’s a big job to put right. If you hadn’t ceramic coated it, it would only have needed a very light flatting (a wash with Cif even) and a clear coat . I don’t know how you get the ceramic off without going too deep and wrecking the the factory paint.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I recently sold my GTV Spider. 140,000km on the clock. I got her from Japan with 110,000km. Did a major service when I got her (preventitive - including belts, tensioner and water pump). Never had any issues. And a different enough drive that I sometimes chose to drive her over the 4C.

Get the 916.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Car.

Colors come and go for anyone so having a "nice wrap" to simply hide a normal patina of using a car as intended is less a good use of even a single (value crashing) Euro than a whole other thing to value on it's own like another Alfa. These are facts.

Objectively, I am combing the market for a "missle" or sorts, blending more practicality and invisibility such as Datsun 240Z/MT vintage trucks on King's/Cayman/Nissan R32/Jeep or Bronco/Subarus... If you only own the 4c long enough then you'll know the eventual need for something to JUST go for a large grocery run or buying an object larger than the passenger seat (spider benefit). I know I would love an appropriately priced, worthy of my time alive sports utility (no, shame on you, not SUV!), So if that or better GTv6 makes you a little bit happy, and you have the space to park it, it's a no brainer. That and realize if you bought the car with swirls and that sort of detail/eventuality bothers you, then you either made a mistake buying the wrong 4c to garage queen (so make lemonade) or you really don't care as long as the 4c is yours so chill out and stress less, swirls and small chips are not like curbed wheels or "driver error". Wear is beautiful, so own it!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How about some Martini stripes and a number? Will cover enough the car to take away from the swirls and look the balls as well.
Thought about those at the start. But. I went to a Ferrari meeting and got a bit of a jolt to my perception of cars. There was not one normal car there. All of them were "personalized".
And not one of them tastefully so. It made me look at them like clown shoes. Perfectly silly fun, and other people do with their money what they please - but it got me off most liveries etc.
So if I'll do any wrap or similar it will be only very, very slightly off-spec.

·
Administrator
18,504 Posts
Thought about those at the start. But. I went to a Ferrari meeting and got a bit of a jolt to my perception of cars. There was not one normal car there. All of them were "personalized".
And not one of them tastefully so. It made me look at them like clown shoes. Perfectly silly fun, and other people do with their money what they please - but it got me off most liveries etc.
So if I'll do any wrap or similar it will be only very, very slightly off-spec.
Hmmm, you could have a 4C shaped temporary finish, or for not all that much more money, a whole other car. Yes, one is going to cost money to maintain. But it should give you so much back in return. I know what I’d do. But I am not the model for responsible decisions or good life choices. Still, YOLO. Imagine yourself with one option and then the other. Whichever one gives you more joy, that’s e way I’d go if I were you.

·
Registered
Coupe sold. Kept wheels for Spider
456 Posts
Some kind of super-dark metallic blue to go over the black paint.
INOZETEK - Midnight Blue Super Gloss Metallic
My favorite....... didn't do it because they don't sell to the general public, only approved professionals (it's not for beginners and I was challenged to wrap an old Mustang myself) Many youtube videos about it

• Love
Reactions: lurrr
1 - 18 of 18 Posts