Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

Should I sell him a car?

• Yes. It’s the right thing to do. No one else will really appreciate it like he will

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. The car is begging to be driven and here’s someone who will actually drive it

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I should write an app… Something that will let me fill out a ranked list of likes and dislikes… And, heck, the algorithm could be used in dating apps. Perfect, right?

I love quirky little cars. And I respect them. I brought my FIAT 500 over from Europe with me and then when I couldn’t garage it in the NE (harsh winters) I sold it to protect it. I don’t just drive cars into the ground.

I intend to drive my spider all year - including during the harsh winters. She will be kept in a heated garage at night and out during the day I’ll probably have her half covered - with canvas over the top from the windshield back? I don’t know - I’ll probably have to have my cover custom made.

Here’s my ranked choice (+/-) list of wants. Nothing is absolute - it’s just a list of wants.
+ spider (this is the highest priority. That’s why it’s at the top)​
- red seats (second priority - I don’t want red seats)​
- yellow exterior​
+ bi-xenons​
+ convenience package​
- too many mods (or mods that make it drive weird)​
+ maintenance current​
+ qv style wheels​
- too many miles (what’s too many?)​
+ ppf front, rally flaps (ha ha)​
- white exterior​
+ winter (spare) wheels​
- tobacco seats​

Or, if you prefer, I’m looking for a black or red on black spider with bixenons and cruise. I’d like 5 hole wheels and the maintenance to be current. Spare wheels are a big plus. I am flexible on this list - that’s just ideal, I suppose.

I’ve been in several recently… That firmed up my choices, above, as well as adding in a few other things, I suppose.

I’m not looking to be hugely loud. I know the car will make noise - I just don’t want to emphasize that with a tune.

I believe that I want one without too many mods of any kind (although the heat knob mod is freaking awesome. That one’s not a mod - it’s just how the car should have been made).

And then just wait… There’s more! There’s what I feel like paying for it! How does “not much” strike you? Yeah. Not well, I imagine. I don’t really know what to say to that. I know you’re right, of course, in wanting to maximize your return. You have to know that I’m at least as right in trying to minimize my outlay.

Of course (?) it’s more complicated than all of that. I can’t imagine things would go really quickly unless you wanted to hold the note and be flexible about things (early balloon payment when current daily sells? Followed by normal things?). Ha ha. That would be unusual although, hey, anything is possible, I suppose.

I’m open to unusual. That’s why I drive unusual cars. And I think I’d like to drive this particular unusual car. Maybe. If I can figure out how to put a bike rack on it…

Edit: formatting fixed. Maybe.
Edit: formatting refixed.
Edit: FUCK BBEDIT. Respectfully :) This time I did the preview thing after doing some other thing and maybe it will publish correctly.

·
Registered
Coupe sold. Kept wheels for Spider
467 Posts
Good luck with that. Hopefully you keep it a super long time not getting sick of trying to drive it through NE winters.... or, end up liking it so much you respect it enough not to do that.... I wouldn't want to be the next owner.
Seriously, if this is your only car then the novelty will wear off quickly. I don't think there's bragging rights to drive it all year round. Buy something you Can drive into the ground. If you do have other cars then at least you can pick and choose the nice days to take it out in the winter.
P.S. to be fair, the 'NO' option is missing from the poll. People who appreciate these cars don't drive them in crap weather

Reactions: KarlB

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool stuff. I think you should add the ability for people to write in new poll options. That’ll crack this thread right open 😂
I don't see that as an option in the software. Maybe if I try the page on 6 different browsers I'll find one where it shows up and works - you never know!

Seriously, if this is your only car then the novelty will wear off quickly. I don't think there's bragging rights to drive it all year round. Buy something you Can drive into the ground. If you do have other cars then at least you can pick and choose the nice days to take it out in the winter.
P.S. to be fair, the 'NO' option is missing from the poll. People who appreciate these cars don't drive them in crap weather
I have some whole other thread on winter driving... I'm not intending to drive it into the ground as I have not driven my Abarth into the ground. I do drive said Abarth all year long... And I don't treat it the way I treat a normal car - I do a good deal more washing and protecting... On the 4C I do wonder a bit about keeping the underside clean... I mean... I picture, easily, stuff getting under/in and then living there. Bleh! Anyway, I don't want to track it and, frankly, isn't tracking a car risking more damage than driving in the snow?

I'm not really trying to bug anyone - I'd just like to drive a car that is less quiet, less comfortable, less practical, and less common. (Oxford comma FTW!) I mean, there's another 124 I see regularly and I've seen two others drive through town.

And, no, I'm not serious about all of this. Yes, I am serious about a lot of it, alas. How serious? I don't know, really.

·
Registered
224 Posts
.. isn't tracking a car risking more damage than driving in the snow?
Maybe you’re joking, but just in case you’re not I felt compelled to answer. 😄

My opinion, and perhaps a bit anecdotal… as someone who has driven 42 winter seasons (so far) in heavy snow/ice/salt regions, and also been road-course tracking/lapping/hpde/occasionally-instructing since 2002, my answer to this is “nope, not even close”.

I have had cars (from new) heavily tracked for up to 10 years, but not winter driven, and those cars after 7-10 years, still looked and drove far better than any winter-driven car I’ve had after suffering through perhaps just 3+ winters from new.

In my experience with many cars of many types, nothing ages a car faster than winter driving it.

The toll of winter driving damage and wear/tear is absolute. On the other hand most tracked cars by necessity tend to be better maintained than most road-only cars, and really only suffer “damage” via tracking if you have a serious incident or abuse the car in some way, neither of which most experienced track drivers do. Yes, I’ve had incidents, just twice in 20 years tracking, and both those were in the earlier years.

Sure almost any car can be effectively winter driven, but I am firmly in the camp of why slowly ruin a 4C by harsh-winter driving it? To me it would almost be like kicking a puppy… repeatedly. I just could not do it, not even once. 🥹

But as always, anyone is perfectly free to do whatever they want (legal assumed) with their own car. I’m simply giving my own opinion from experience re your question.

cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe you’re joking, but just in case you’re not I felt compelled to answer. 😄
That was well written and I see your point.

In our neck of the woods the most damage that occurs to vehicles comes from wildlife. There is an average of 1 strike per 20k miles. Most strikes are on a front quarter - it’s a deer leaping from the trees into the side of the car.

And to reply as seriously as I can, “It’s a hammer.” (I’d be happy to elaborate and to make a beautiful story about hammers if you like.)

·
Registered
224 Posts
In our neck of the woods the most damage that occurs to vehicles comes from wildlife. There is an average of 1 strike per 20k miles. Most strikes are on a front quarter - it’s a deer leaping from the trees into the side of the car.
Yep, we have similar environs... What's the most dangerous animal in Canada? Statistically a moose. 🙄

·
Registered
224 Posts
And to reply as seriously as I can, “It’s a hammer.” (I’d be happy to elaborate and to make a beautiful story about hammers if you like.)
You are of course correct, a car is a tool 🛠...
But, re tool analogies, I would suggest a 4C is less of a hammer and more of a scalpel. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would suggest a 4C is less of a hammer and more of a scalpel.
Oh, I think of it is as a specialty hammer… I have at least 10 hammers - none of which were made for the same purpose. One has the fancy ringed leather handle, one is fiberglass, one has a 4# head, one has a tiny square head… Again, each designed for a very specific use. I treat some (leather handle) differently - better - than others (the rusty head WW-II-era “light hammer”) but mostly they’re just means to an end. I find that if I am careful then the fiberglass framing hammer is usable for just about everything. And, since I mention it, I am, actually, rather careful with my hammer. But, yes, it will wear faster than it should because sometimes I try to use it as a maul. Carefully!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So... My hammer looks like it's going to be madreperla... It has all of the other features I was looking for (minus snow tires!) and just passed inspection wonderfully. All of the mechanics were gathered around (at an Alfa shop) and saying what an awesome car it is. I think that's good and I guess I'm in the process of doing good. I can't quite mark this as "sold" yet since I won't have it in my grubby mitts for another ~10 days but we're actively working towards closing this one out...

So, uh. Anyone have and spare 17/18 wheels they want to let go cheap so I can get snow tires on this baby? I'll post another WTB as soon as I actually have the car - I'm just putting feelers out now.

Mod 1 to come: Joying 8.8
Mod 2: Snow tires
Mod 3: Realtree wrap so that the car is less noticeable on the road?
Mod 4: Bike rack!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, there’s that. You want to go in on those? I only want wheels! Someone else can have the tires. (Assuming I buy the car… Looking pretty good so far but you do never know…)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, that purchase fell through for some reason. Just as well that I didn’t buy these wheels. And it looks like I really do need 4 practical cars this coming winter so I can’t get rid of my winter beater (Abarth).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts