Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Missing being out in my 4C and just thinking how did you feel getting into the 4C for the first time, what a feeling of surrealism , It began 2 years ago for me, I had never sat in one but had bought my 4C online out of pure obsession and slight panic after loosing out on another one. Three hour drive. So at the dealership I had handed over the £40 grand and had not even touched a 4C before. To me this added to the euphoria/drug effect feeling , wish I could sell that ! Being alive you need these types of shock and contentment situations . That was amazing, I did think when getting in what have I done, it felt so uncompromising but there was no going back, my wife had also got in and she is a rock when helping me out. The feeling getting inside was one of surprise, delight and also slight worry as it felt like climbing down into a low container, rather coffin like. ( I come from a Giulitta QV, nice and comfy) No softness to the interior, quite hard but reassuringly solid. First few miles away from the dealers and I was steady , like driving a go kart, knowing its beautiful but thinking its so utilitarian. Everyone looks and admires, credit also to the race exhaust. By the time I was home I felt much more in tune.

I have just sat in my car in the garage, its dark outside , but winter is retreating and it's a great place to sit for a few minutes looking forward to springtime, this car is not just a car, it’s an emotion in you. Hoping to add some carbon extras soon, just ordered an Italian flag as a windscreen shade, and a banner for the garage.

How was your first time ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
i rented one on TURO to see if i wanted one. I had been considering new 718 Spider and Lotus Evora GT.. or keeping my Miata ND that i had only had about 6 months and loved. First impression as we drove up to the 4C parked was that it was more substantial than i expected. Its width and color (one of the pearl whites) just made it look more serious than I expected. When I sat down in it i though yes... this is there i want to be.. down in a car. and i was glad and mildly surprised the seat was wide enough for my fat as and comfortable. But i also though "they really should have put more sporting seats in this". When i started it.. it sounded better than i expected.. then when i started driving i was like 15 seconds into it and i turned to my daughter and said "oh my god this is the car i have been looking for". It reminded me very very much of my race cars, but in a made-for-the-street package (a real race car would be BRUTAL on the street.. i have done it and no thanks). This was as close as you could come and make it still drivable. My next thought was how much it reminded me of my Evo 8 (for all the same reason) but with a cool Italian flavor, 2 seats and open air (spider.. i am a guy who loves driving in open cars). I was shocked at how much i liked it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Wanting to buy an Exige v6. Had an appointement with Lotus. They 'forgot' me....Also had bad experiences with Lotus in the past with my Elise......But that's another story....So bey bey lotus.
But.....what now??? Never had any interest in a 4C.Weird looking and a 'automatic'. The news came out the 4c would come to a end, 2.5 years ago. So i thougth,why not go for a look for one now..
Man, WHAT A BEAUTIFUL CAR, in the flesh. Bought it . A month later was the pick up. Arrived in the garage and they started the 4c. Me and my wife where WTF!!!! This not legal???? That race exhaust is not normal AND legal! :cool:
Drove it home and the looks/admires/thumbs up where not normal! Still to this day. The love for the brand is not normal by others...The drive itself was nice and comfy. Spacious inside. Smooth with the automatic :D.And a airco, just woow...
Loved the car........until i've got tinnitus from it a year later. Hated it, for a while. That race exhaust damaged my hearing. A few months later (you're body adapts to the pieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep) drove it again, but with earplugs now. I still can not stand the droning in the cabin without earplugs. Also ride my motorcycle is with plugs. Metalconcerts,.....
But hey, i'm in love with my 4C. It has bitten me in a good and bad way.And we will never be apart. It's a keeper.💓💓

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,801 Posts
I came from a 1969 ALFA 1750 spider I bought new in 1970 and owned for over 40 years....and a 1967 ALFA GTV SCCA B/Sedan race car I raced for a couple of years in the mid 70s. My brother also had an ALFA....a 73 or 74 Berlina with the 2000cc engine in it. When ALFA pulled out of the US market for about 20 years it hurt me but I hung on as it is never hard getting parts for those old ALFAs. Finally I let the spider stay with my sister in California for a while until I could decide if I would move it here or sell it when I retired. After retiring moved from California to Michigan where my wife is from and has a ton of relatives. I flirted with a new car to take the place of the ALFA...maybe used Ferrari, Lambo, etc. but had a hard time parting with the ALFA. Finally I got word ALFA was coming back to the US market with an exciting raw drivers car that was gorgeous. After following all the reviews and seeing photos and finally one at a car show I knew that was the one. I waited anxiously for it to arrive and when it did I was smitten....but at first they were hard to find and sold over sticker by a lot (like most new cars). I also knew that getting the earliest examples likely would require dealing with new model bugs, etc. I waited until January 2016 to find a dealer and turned out there was one right in my neighborhood. Here in Michigan Winters are a bit harsh but generally by the end of February the weather warms up significantly. I decided to get on it right away so went to the dealership. They had a few spiders in various colors but they had one 2015 Launch Edition that was their prize....it was one they had roped off and you weren't allowed to get in it until removing your shoes, etc. I knew that was the one since it was a special limited run so we worked out a price and it was mine. I have never regretted that decision although I still wish I had garage space so I could have kept that old 1969 spider also. It was flawless and had tons of mods....suspension, engine, limited slip differential, etc. A collector in Texas now has it.
In my 73 years I have owned a lot of cars...American by all of the big 3, Japanese, Italian, German, English....but the ALFAs are the ones that just have that bit "extra" that makes them keepers.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
My first drive was just before sealing the deal. Wasn’t going to cough up until I’d driven out of pure principle.
In reality, I just didn’t want to look like mug and hand over the dough with giving the guy some pressure. I knew virtually nothing about true sports cars, let alone the 4C, and would not have known if it was right or not.
My actual thoughts and evaluation of its character and handling weren’t that detailed or nuanced a critique either. “F#ck me!!!” was my assessment.
I decided that It was a quality hardcore sports car and that if I couldn’t live with it the failure was with me.
I’d driven an Exige on tracks years ago and always wanted that, but more so, without fibreglass, glue aluminium and Japanese engines. The 4C is the only car ever to meet that requirement.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Started with seeing the concept car in a motoring magazine. And desired one as an Alfista. In 2013 the car came to the Dubai Auto show. I knew the car would be there and made sure that on the first day of the show I was standing at the gate as they opened up to the public. I’d driven 130km from Al Ain to be there). Think I was first to get to the Alfa stall. There she was, in red. I was almost too afraid to get in because what if I didn’t fit? A dream would be destroyed (not that I thought I’d be able to afford one).
As I slid into the seat, I remember thinking, “this is perfect, they’ve made the car for me”. Sat there for about ten minutes. Don’t really remember the other cars there that day. That evening I insisted that my wife come with me the next day (they had one as a static display in the showroom too). So we drove the 130km back to Dubai the next day, and a Carrara white LE was waiting there. After about 20mins of drooling around the car my wife suggested I get it. I put the deposit down the next day.
The more senior members here will remember my garage build while I waited. Then a year after I put the deposit down, a week before my birthday in 2014, I was holding the keys to 022/100.
The first timeI drove a 4C was off the dealership floor, back to Al Ain. It was surreal. I was driving my dream, and it was nearly 3 weeks before another 4C was in the country and on the roads of the UAE.

·
Super Moderator
8,407 Posts
For me it was lust at first sight. Ordered what I wanted but had to wait twelve months for delivery. Was taken to the storage warehouse when it first arrived then had to wait an extra few days as they didn’t have a windscreen seal after the pre-delivery rebuild. Then there was the two hours of fartarsing about in the dealership on delivery day. That first drive home was a mixture of pure excitement and trepidation. I remember a little traffic light challenge with a Golf GTi. He roared off then I gave it a bit, short changed into second and was amazed at how quickly I caught him then buttoned off just to keep pace. This was going to be a very special relationship; the Alfa I had been waiting for all my life! I was dropping the car off the next day to be ppf’d so it was home to bed. Never regretted the purchase for a second. What a car and what a community of owners!

·
Registered
8 Posts
It reminded me very very much of my race cars, but in a made-for-the-street package (a real race car would be BRUTAL on the street.. i have done it and no thanks). This was as close as you could come and make it still drivable. My next thought was how much it reminded me of my Evo 8 (for all the same reason) but with a cool Italian flavor, 2 seats and open air (spider.. i am a guy who loves driving in open cars). I was shocked at how much i liked it.
This was more or less my experience too. I had always been interested in these cars since they debuted, but only recently started thinking about buying one (also on my list were a 996 or F355). I didn't really think I could get over the lack of a 3-pedal manual. But a used one finally popped up at a local dealership about a month ago, so I went in to check it out. The thing I remember from the test drive was getting out and having the same adrenaline jitters that I get when I come in to the pits after driving a race car. This car lights up my brain in a way that no other street car ever has. I bought one about a week later. :cool:

·
Registered
512 Posts
The Quicksilver Helmholtz does wonder to the drone, Tib.
Bought myself a muffled version, but did not care anymore. I'm enjoying my glorious race exhaust to much (with plugs)

(y)

Reactions: decatur

·
Registered
758 Posts
I had recenty sold my 2010 R8 V10 and was getting impatient with ..... What's next? All I knew after owning and driving quite a few German cars ..... I wanted an Italian car. My focus was on the 458, but the prices were still too high.

Then one day .... there was this cool looking car in front of my office. A red 4C. I had never seen one up close. I hear about them. Been on this forum prior to this sighting, but never really gave the 4C a chance. I will admit .... coming from high powered twin turbos and the V10 ..... finding out that the 4C had a 4 banger didn't get me too excited.

But .... it was so different and beautiful and ....... Italian.

So. I decided to buy one. A new one with delivery miles. A fully specced model exactly the way I wanted it. I never drove one. Never heard one. Never sat in one.

So when it arrived off the enclosed delivery truck and I took it for a spin. OMG. A car that finally felt like a real race car. Harsh. Loud. Rough shifting. Jittery. Just so different from anything I had ever owned.

After over 3 yrs of ownership ... I still have the same feeling every time I take it out. OMG!!!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I hadn’t really paid much attention to these at first. I remember following one on a Swiss pass in my Smart Roadster and even then thought no more about it. Some years later, I decided to look for a low miles Aston vantage V8 or an Audi R8 V8 manual, but nothing was up to my high standards at my £ level.
Then, one afternoon I watched the Alfa 4c episode of ‘the making of a supercar’. Before closing time I had found a new one in a dealer about 150 miles away (that’s a long way for us Brits), the salesman was crap and didn’t get back to me, so I drove there the next day and insisted on dealing with a different person. Did the deal, paid deposit and left, all without test drive etc. We were offered one but I thought my wife may say no if it’s as raw as they say.
Then about a month later, I caught the train the collect my 4c. Drove off and yes it made a lot of noise and was an exciting feeling. At one point I thought a motorcycle was overtaking me, but it was my own exhaust noise as the 4c changed down (I was in auto slowing down). I got some petrol and the guy in the station came out to have a look ! Plenty of toots and looks from others even though it was a cold dark January day.
Every drive is an occasion and makes you feel a million dollars. There really is nothing like them. I can understand why some ‘Car guys’ don’t like them...........
Because they are Not ‘Car Guys’, just think they are.
Last year I drove a 911 targa 4 and whilst it was incredibly fast, it was boring unless you were travelling at highly illegal speeds.
The Alfa is fun at any speed. So lucky to have seen the light.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
For me it was an incredibly annoying experience. In 2016 the first two dealerships I visited in the DC metro area would not even let me sit in a 4c. The sales reps had no idea what they were talking about and I pretty much stopped looking at the 4c for at least a year. The following summer I found a dealer up in Maryland that had a 4c that had been abused but the guy let me test drive it. That was a blast! Over the next 3 years I was able to test drive a couple more and each time I was more convinced that it was something I wanted to own. Finally in 2020 Covid hit and I found myself in a different state without a fun two seater to drive and made the purchase.

I cannot emphasize how poor my dealership experiences were. I probably would have bought a 4c back in 2016 if the any of the dealers were the least bit interested in selling one at even close to MSRP. I think FCA screwed up by allowing dealers to put ridiculous markups on the 4c and then eventually having to sell them for below MSRP...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Missing being out in my 4C and just thinking how did you feel getting into the 4C for the first time, what a feeling of surrealism , It began 2 years ago for me, I had never sat in one but had bought my 4C online out of pure obsession and slight panic after loosing out on another one. Three hour drive. So at the dealership I had handed over the £40 grand and had not even touched a 4C before. To me this added to the euphoria/drug effect feeling , wish I could sell that ! Being alive you need these types of shock and contentment situations . That was amazing, I did think when getting in what have I done, it felt so uncompromising but there was no going back, my wife had also got in and she is a rock when helping me out. The feeling getting inside was one of surprise, delight and also slight worry as it felt like climbing down into a low container, rather coffin like. ( I come from a Giulitta QV, nice and comfy) No softness to the interior, quite hard but reassuringly solid. First few miles away from the dealers and I was steady , like driving a go kart, knowing its beautiful but thinking its so utilitarian. Everyone looks and admires, credit also to the race exhaust. By the time I was home I felt much more in tune.

I have just sat in my car in the garage, its dark outside , but winter is retreating and it's a great place to sit for a few minutes looking forward to springtime, this car is not just a car, it’s an emotion in you. Hoping to add some carbon extras soon, just ordered an Italian flag as a windscreen shade, and a banner for the garage.

How was your first time ?
Excellent description,

·
Registered
561 Posts
4C wasn't really on my radar until I saw one in the flesh, knew at that moment I'd be buying one. Took a couple weeks to make a deal on the spec I wanted and drove it for the first time after the deal was done - knew I would love it based on reviews and videos and I still do!

Reactions: goldmax

·
Registered
512 Posts
Every drive is an occasion and makes you feel a million dollars. There really is nothing like them. I can understand why some ‘Car guys’ don’t like them...........
Because they are Not ‘Car Guys’, just think they are.

[/QUOTE]

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) have 2 of these friends (comfy audi s5 and vw touareg rs). :LOL::LOL: and one friend (opel speedster) who thinks i'm not a car guy anymore due the tct box :sleep::sleep::sleep::giggle:

·
Registered
174 Posts
What 'hooked' me was the rawnest of the car. I had followed the car through reviews online and videos back in 2014-15. I had also had an earlier fantasy affair with a GT Junior back in 1972. I was criticized by my buddies at the time as it (the Junior) wasn't North American and not a 'Muscle Car'. I always had Alfa in my mind. Confession, I love nice things. Beautiful women, cars, music, and on and on. When I saw the 4C, I thought that's something for me. I thought practical (Porsche 718) and did investigate briefly. Then I saw an add for a 2016 Spider for sale at a Chrysler dealer in Niagara Falls Canada. Contacted them and went with my youngest daughter to see it. The owner bought it from FCA and drove it for 1,900km before I bought it from him. I drove it but had already made up my mind. This was for me, unique, beautiful, loud, a full-out race car. I was 67 years old and had fallen in love again.
I still am, two years later.

·
Registered
150 Posts
For me, it was the look and rawness of the vehicle.

I secured the vehicle in Southern CA and flew down two days later without ever doing a test drive prior to securing the deal. I then drove back to Northern CA, which was a great way to get to know the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts