Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,422 Posts
For me it was an incredibly annoying experience. In 2016 the first two dealerships I visited in the DC metro area would not even let me sit in a 4c. The sales reps had no idea what they were talking about and I pretty much stopped looking at the 4c for at least a year. The following summer I found a dealer up in Maryland that had a 4c that had been abused but the guy let me test drive it. That was a blast! Over the next 3 years I was able to test drive a couple more and each time I was more convinced that it was something I wanted to own. Finally in 2020 Covid hit and I found myself in a different state without a fun two seater to drive and made the purchase.

I cannot emphasize how poor my dealership experiences were. I probably would have bought a 4c back in 2016 if the any of the dealers were the least bit interested in selling one at even close to MSRP. I think FCA screwed up by allowing dealers to put ridiculous markups on the 4c and then eventually having to sell them for below MSRP...
I had the same experience too. I bought the car from the dealer who called me back to offer me a seat in a car that had just arrived but was not spoken for. Coincidentally, they also offered me the best drive-away deal by far. The 12 month wait simply added to the theatre of whole purchase process. Suck eggs to the other 3 dealers, two of which no longer exist as Alfa dealers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just like THE REAL CHV I first saw the prototype in a picture from Lake Commo I think. It was printed out and still hangs on my office wall That was I think in 2011 They announced that they would produce the car after that
As the Italian car day in Scotland was a week later I was there with my 1990spider and spoke to the local agent about it

He said they were maybe getting 10 to sell (very optimistic as it turned out) and that they had many enquiries already and about 8-9 deposits That prompted me to quickly put down £1000 deposit that week as I reckoned that I wouldn t lose my money as if I decided against buying the car I would be able to sell my option easily as it was such a great looking car
Coming from a long history of italian fiat and alfas in the family in the previous 30 years or so and having driven an X1/9 for 15 years (still have it along with 5 others, none running) with GT Juniors, 33, 164s, 155 etc in my past there was no fear that I would be disappointed in the 4C -- and the looks!!!!

Then the long wait- nearly 3 years
As time went on there were fewer and fewer supposedly coming to Scotland and I was told not to hold out much hope of getting one of them. I think it helped that we showed very willing to take up Alfas offer of a free entry to the Geneva Car Show and a free day at Goodwood Festival of Speed- showed how serious we were and we phoned the dealer regularly.

So the first time I saw /sat in one was in Geneva (only got to as a buyer) and again at goodwood (didn t get to sit in Stradale which was there but at least got to look closely, again as a buyer)

In 2014 when the first few (20 I think) arrived in UK 4 came to Scotland with 2 to my dealer By then most of the original depositors had dropped out and I was lucky to get the nod that I was getting one As I pushed to get mine registered in time for next italian car day I know mine was the first on the Scottish roads!

First time I drove on was my own one after delivery, for a mile up the road with the dealer and then home 40 miles
Fell in love of course and hopefully will never part though not many miles this year due to covid and knackered ball joint
which I hope to take to Alfaworks for repairs along with bolt tightening, timing belt,water pump and suspension block fitting as soon as lockdown over , before the summer I hope (500 miles each way and 4 days minimum)

·
Registered
41 Posts
The 4-year itch...

Joined s2ki.com in 2001 knowing there was no other car for me, and finally bought an S2000 exactly 4 years later.

Joined 4C Forums in 2015 knowing there was no other car for me, and finally bought a 4C exactly 4 years later.

Living in the pacific northwest, there aren't many 4Cs around. So the first one I ever saw was in the Portland AR dealership a month or so before I bought one. It was a black 2019 and at first sight took my breath away: Those curves, those lines, the shape - low and menacing and gorgeous. These cars are even better looking in person--was not expecting that. At all.

They weren't allowing test drives, so the first one I ever drove was the one I bought--a leftover new 2018 that I flew to Omaha and purchased from a dealership in July 2019.

Definitely a case of love/lust at first sight even though I had my eyes set on a 4C for years. I frankly had no idea how much I would come to love it until I saw it....and drove it.

No plans to ever sell my S2000 or my 4C -- both are instant classics: Pure driving machines.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I saw an early US 4C LE at The Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum on a day when they were running old racing Alfas out behind the museum on a demo day. The museum is full of historic sports racing cars, and it is less than a mile from where I grew up (but was not there at the time I grew up) in a very industrial and run down urban area of Philadelphia. The museum is an old warehouse, and the back lot is next to where we played football (both kinds) and goofed around at the train tracks. I even got to put one of my old 80's rides in the museum for a summer. The museum's cars are leaking oil, have battle damage from races and are used on demo days. They smell and look battle worn. Some were restored -- mostly the ones that are on loan.

They had an old guy showing his 4C who bothered the living hell out of me. Around back, barking engines and bellowing smoke from race-worn Alfas zooming around, and this guy (who was invited to the demo day to show off his 4C to bring excitement about Alfa's return) was polishing, rubbing, buffing and bending over in care of the paint, on a perfect Spring day. I really tried to ask him about where he drives it; I asked about what it's like. A crowd was formed around him... as he buffed, sprayed and wiped. He had a scratchy old smoker's voice that I picked up on when he addressed the crowd. Sort of the prelude: He tells a story about the car, then hops in and demos. What did he actually do? He ignored my questions. People looked at me like... umm, this dude is ignoring you. He started taking more products out of the trunk, and he continued to clean the car. Did he drive it? NO. Start it up? Also no.

Did I see a 4C run? Did I hear it? Did the owner even bother to say anything about how it drives as historic Alfas zoomed around and came to life all around us? Also no.

Did I leave there with a steely resolve to own one and drive the ever-loving snot out of a 4C's soul and not fret over brake dust and a little dirt? Hell yeah.

I have also learned with about 90% certainty that the 4C that sat idle that day is the 4C I own today. Only my son knows this story, as he was with me that day.

·
Registered
2015 4C Madreperla White
161 Posts
My first drive was just before sealing the deal. Wasn’t going to cough up until I’d driven out of pure principle.
In reality, I just didn’t want to look like mug and hand over the dough with giving the guy some pressure. I knew virtually nothing about true sports cars, let alone the 4C, and would not have known if it was right or not.
My actual thoughts and evaluation of its character and handling weren’t that detailed or nuanced a critique either. “F#ck me!!!” was my assessment.
I decided that It was a quality hardcore sports car and that if I couldn’t live with it the failure was with me.
I’d driven an Exige on tracks years ago and always wanted that, but more so, without fibreglass, glue aluminium and Japanese engines. The 4C is the only car ever to meet that requirement.

·
Registered
2015 4C Madreperla White
161 Posts
I had wanted one since I first saw the concept vehicle in 2013. Then as the specs were announced, it just ticked all the boxes. When I had the cash, and found the right deal, it took about 30 seconds in the car to confirm that everything I hoped was the reality—and there was no way I was going home without this car!!! As mentioned before, the sound at startup is all you need, but the flutter it makes at a 4k short-shift closes the deal😉

I knew I was in love after I parked it in the garage next to my Cayman S. I went out and drove the Porsche and almost immediately decided I would be selling it. I used to think of it as a fairly pure sports car (by modern standards)—but now it feels dulled and boring. We’ve all been ruined for “normal” sports cars😂

·
Registered
2 Posts
Missing being out in my 4C and just thinking how did you feel getting into the 4C for the first time, what a feeling of surrealism , It began 2 years ago for me, I had never sat in one but had bought my 4C online out of pure obsession and slight panic after loosing out on another one. Three hour drive. So at the dealership I had handed over the £40 grand and had not even touched a 4C before. To me this added to the euphoria/drug effect feeling , wish I could sell that ! Being alive you need these types of shock and contentment situations . That was amazing, I did think when getting in what have I done, it felt so uncompromising but there was no going back, my wife had also got in and she is a rock when helping me out. The feeling getting inside was one of surprise, delight and also slight worry as it felt like climbing down into a low container, rather coffin like. ( I come from a Giulitta QV, nice and comfy) No softness to the interior, quite hard but reassuringly solid. First few miles away from the dealers and I was steady , like driving a go kart, knowing its beautiful but thinking its so utilitarian. Everyone looks and admires, credit also to the race exhaust. By the time I was home I felt much more in tune.

I have just sat in my car in the garage, its dark outside , but winter is retreating and it's a great place to sit for a few minutes looking forward to springtime, this car is not just a car, it’s an emotion in you. Hoping to add some carbon extras soon, just ordered an Italian flag as a windscreen shade, and a banner for the garage.

How was your first time ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love this! Like you, I never drove a 4C before, although I was a passenger in one for a short time. I remember people taking pictures of it at red lights. I purchased a 4C and am awaiting it’s arrival. I just knew I had to have one. I look forward to the feelings you described.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,808 Posts
I love this! Like you, I never drove a 4C before, although I was a passenger in one for a short time. I remember people taking pictures of it at red lights. I purchased a 4C and am awaiting it’s arrival. I just knew I had to have one. I look forward to the feelings you described.
When you get it we expect pictures and stories of your 4C adventures. As an owner you will quickly find out that the 4C will make you late for appointments since whenever you stop for gas, snacks, etc. people will want to talk to you about it and take pictures ;-)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts